6148 - Teacher Assistants
In approving the employment of instructional or teacher assistants in the schools, the Bon Homme School Board believes that their service will permit:
1. Teachers more time to devote to actual instruction.
2. More effective grouping for instructional purposes.
3. Wider use of audio-visual equipment in the classrooms.
4. Greater individualized attention for meeting pupil needs.
5. More effective group instruction.
The use of instructional assistants will be individually determined and will require a recommendation from the appropriate school building administrator and the approval by the Superintendent. Official appointment to such a paid position will be made by the Bon Homme School Board.
Under no circumstances will instructional assistants be given responsibilities and duties which are properly and/or legally those of a regularly employed and certified professional staff member.
All commitments for the hiring of a teacher assistant must meet with the requirements as established in the Master Agreement between the Bon Homme Education Association and the Bon Homme School Board and current State or Federal guidelines.
Revised: February 2003
Back to Policy Page